Opportunities to volunteer on CalCOFI Cruises in 2017
- Spring CalCOFI cruise: March 28 - April 21, 2017 on NOAA RV Bell M Shimada; San Diego to San Francisco.
- Summer CalCOFI cruise: 1 - 16 Aug 2017 on SIO RV Sally Ride; San Diego to San Diego
- Autumn CalCOFI cruise: 08 - 23 Nov 2017 on SIO RV Sally Ride; San Diego to San Diego
Please note that dates are subject to change.
Interested in participating in an oceanographic cruise? CalCOFI cruises are staffed by personnel from the following agencies: National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA), Integrative Oceanography Division at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and California Department of Fish & Wildlife. Volunteers are recruited to help deploy equipment, collect data, and draw and analyze seawater samples. General criteria:
- sea-worthiness (experience at sea, recreational is acceptable)
- good health; able to lift 50lbs
- scientific background
- ability to follow detailed instructions carefully
- ability to work safely on an oceanographic cruise
- availability - most cruises are 18 - 20 days; some winter & spring cruises are longer
- able & willing to work a 12hr watch (noon to midnight or midnight to noon) for 18+ days
- must have completed two years in college in the field of science