The Nimitz Marine Facility (MarFac) is the home port and technical support center for the Scripps Institution of Oceanography research fleet. Recently renovated, MarFac is the home of SIO's newest research vessel RV Sally Ride. RV Robert Gordon Sproul, RV Revelle, FLIP also berth here.
Please note that access to MarFac dockside & any of the research ships require a Transportation Worker's Identification Credential (TWIC) card or a TWIC escort.
Address: 297 Rosecrans Street, San Diego 92106-3505
From the airport:
- Drive southwest on North Harbor Drive
- Turn left on Rosecrans St
- Follow Rosecrans 1.4 miles to the Nimitz Marine Facility at 297 Rosecrans St. The entrance will be on the left, just before the entrance to Naval Base Point Loma.
From the Scripps Institution of Oceanography campus
- Begin by heading south on La Jolla Shores Drive
- Turn left on La Jolla Parkway
- Take the I-5 South for 8 miles
- Take exit 20 for the I-8 East, towards Rosecrans/El Centro.
- Stay in the right lane, and you will exit onto Camino Del Rio, which merges onto Rosecrans St.
- Follow Rosecrans 3.7 miles to the Nimitz Marine Facility at 297 Rosecrans St. The entrance will be on the left, just before the entrance to Naval Base Point Loma.