RV Roger Revelle is a 274-foot (83 meter) AGOR 24-class research ship operated by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, a graduate division of the University of California, San Diego. SIO Ship Information Page.
The RV Roger Revelle is the second of three oceanographic ships built by the U.S. Navy for oceanographic institution operations. Construction began in early 1993, launched in April of 1995, and sailed on her maiden voyage from Mississippi to San Diego in July, 1996. The 1996 October CalCOFI cruise, 9610RR, was the first research cruise on RV Roger Revelle.
RV Revelle has a cruising speed of 12 knots and carries 22 crewmembers and 37 scientists.
In-Port, MarFac Phone Number: 858-534-1647; Cell phone: 858-242-6717
At sea Fleet Broadband: 011 - 870 773 150 886 or At sea Iridium: 011 - 8816 3143 2006
The ship is named for Prof. Roger R. D. Revelle (1909-1991), a distinguished university researcher and professor, the officer in charge of the oceanographic section of the Bureau of Ships (now Naval Sea Systems Command), a creator of the Office of Naval Research and head of its Geophysics Section, and a director of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Prof. Revelle was one of the first scientists to identify the issues of carbon dioxide emissions, the "Greenhouse Effect" and global warming.
Information and Specifications
- Built: 1996
- Length: 277'
- Beam: 52'5"
- Draft (max): 17'
- Gross Tonnage: 3,180 long tons
- Displacement: 3,512 long tons
- Crew: 22
- Scientific berthing: 37
- Motors: Two 3,000 hp Propulsion General Electric
- Bow Thruster: 1,180 hp Azimuthing jet
- Propulsion: Two 3,000 hp Z-Drive Lips
- Water Capacity: 12,000 gal
- Incinerator: Yes
- Fuel Consumption: 4,400 gal/day (transit)
- Speed, Cruising: 12 knots
- Speed, Maximum: 15 knots
- Speed, Minimum: variable to 0, any direction
- Endurance: 52 days at 12 knots (fuel)
- Range: 15,000 at 12 knots (fuel)
- Fuel Capacity: 227,500 (planning)
- Radio Call Sign: KAOU
- Laboratory Space: 4,000 sq. ft
- Main Deck Working Area: 4,070 sq. ft
- Freeboard: 9 ft
- Sewage System: MSD
- Holding Tanks: 5,100 gal
Document/State I.D#: 1996
- GPS Trimble Tansmon P-Code
- GPs Trimble NT 200 DGPS
- RADAR Sperry 3cm, 10cm
- ADU GPs Ashtech Attitude-sensing System
- Acoustic Positioning System Nautronix 916 SBL/LBL
- Fathometer Furuno FV 700 50 kHz
- Doppler Speed Log ODEC 200 kHz
- Doppler Speed Log EDO 600 kHz
- Dynamic Positioning - ROBERTSON
- ADF - SIMRAD Taiyo
- Gyro - Sperry MK 37 (2)
Title held by U.S. Navy. Operated agreement with Office of Naval Research.
In case of emergency a MarFac responsible person can be reached as follows:
Nimitz Marine Facility: 858-534-1644 during regular workdays (Monday through Friday, 0800-1700).
Marine Facility Guard: 858-534-1639 at other times
The person answering the phone will be able to assist with contacting a ship. Note that our guards are required to leave their desk to make rounds -- if your call is not answered, please leave a message and the guard will reply as soon as possible.