RV Sally Ride is Scripps Institution of Oceanography's newest world ocean class research vessel. Named in honor of the former UCSD faculty member who was the first American female astronaut and the youngest American to fly in space. RV Sally Ride, like AGOR 27 RV Neil Armstrong is an Auxiliary General Oceanographic Research (AGOR) vessel.
CalCOFI 1611SR had the honor of being the first hydrographic fisheries survey to sail on Scripps Institution of Oceanography's newest research vessel in Nov 2016. CalCOFI will conduct two 75-station hydrographic fisheries surveys off Southern California on RV Sally Ride Aug 2017 and Nov 2017.
The ship is owned by the U.S. Navy, will be operated by Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego, and will have its home port at the Scripps Nimitz Marine Facility in Point Loma on San Diego Bay.
- Contacting RV Sally Ride Information Page
- US Navy's AGOR Fact File
- SIO's R/V Sally Ride web page
- RV Sally Ride Facebook Page | Blog | Photos: In Port / At-Sea | Crew
- Detailed Specification (pdf courtesy of scripps.ucsd.edu)
- CalCOFI Deck Layout for summer CalCOFI