CalCOFI CTD Data
Latest Raw & preliminary CTD data:
1607 • 10 - 27 July 2016 • R/V Ocean Starr; 68 stations; 20-1607 CTD cast files; 20-1607 CTD preliminary asc-hdr files. Cast.zip file contains raw, unprocessed CTD cast files. Prelim.zip file contains Seasoft-processed CTD data, preliminary bottle-corrected CTD data, & preliminary bottle data. Preliminary data are subject to change as CalCOFI data-quality, error-checking protocols are applied.
Latest Final bottle-corrected CTD data:
1504 • 04 - 20 Apr 2015 • SIO RV New Horizon; 70 Stations; 20-1504 CTD cast files; 20-1504 CTD final asc-hdr files. Cast.zip file contains raw, unprocessed CTD cast files. Final.zip file contains Seasoft-processed CTD data, final bottle-corrected CTD data, & final bottle data. Final data suitable for publication.
CalCOFI Final CTD Database (Sept2015):
2005 - 2012 CalCOFI CTD data are final Seabird-processed, bottle-corrected 1m CTD data. The CTD database is constructed or updated from each cruises' CTD cast files after bottle-corrections have been applied. Two tables - upcast & downcast - are in the database along with bottle data used to calibrate the sensors. Note that typically three columns are available for each sensor: Seasave-only processed sensor data - no bottle correction applied; cruise-corrected ("CruiseCorr") = bottle-corrected sensor data using coefficients derived from regressing all bottle data to sensor data; station-corrected ("StaCorr") = bottle-corrected sensor data using coefficients derived from regressing only the current station's bottle data to sensor data. Station-corrected sensor data is considered the best when 20 or more bottle samples are available to calibrate the sensor measurements. Station-correcting helps eliminate the station-to-station variability in certain sensor, particularly the ISUS when a new lamp is installed and experiencing "burn-in" drift.
2005-2012 MS Access database - database index
- 2009 CTD+Bottle csvs (4 cruises merged;downcast, upcast; final bottle data)
- 2010 CTD+Bottle csvs (4 cruises merged;downcast, upcast; final bottle data)
- 2011 CTD+Bottle csvs (4 cruises merged;downcast, upcast; 1110 bottle data preliminary)
- 2012 CTD+Bottle csvs (2 cruises merged;downcast, upcast; preliminary bottle data)
CTD Data Description
- Cast Files
- Files as created by SeaBird's Seasave program during each CalCOFI station. These data are unaltered and may contain errors (e.g., incorrect header information) or be incomplete due to system failure during collection. Two or more files may be available for a single station in the latter case. Each cruise will have a single cast data file. This file is a compressed .zip containing .zip files for each cast of the cruise, yymm_CTDCast.zip and yymm_llllssss_###.zip respectively. Each station .zip should contain the following: .bl, .con, .hdr, .hex, .mrk, and .prn files.
- Preliminary data
- Those which have been processed without final bottle data. The bottle data used to create bottle versus CTD regression calculations and corrections, and appended bottle data has only gone through a cursory and thus incomplete quality control process. Sensor data taken during the cast may also contain anomolous features (e.g., drop outs and spikes) that have not been complety processed. Preliminary CTD data is offered as a single compressed .zip file as yymm_CTDPrelim.zip that may contain files and folder structure for ASC-HDR, CSV-Plot, and metadata formats as they becomne available.
- Final data
- Those which have passed through the CalCOFI quality control process and have become publicly available. They differ from preliminary data in that the bottle data has been ammended leaving bottle versus CTD regression calculations and corrections, and appended bottle data in their final corrected form. Final CTD data is offered as a single compressed .zip file (i.e., yymm_CTDFinal.zip) containing files and folder structure for ASC-HDR, CSV-Plot, and metadata formats.